BREXIT: British voters want referendum on final Brexit deal

Jermaine Castillo
July 31, 2018

The YouGov survey, published on Friday, showed 42 percent of voters believed they ought to be given a "final say" on leaving the 28-member bloc once the terms of Britain's exit from it have been established.

Lineker has happily spoken of his disdain for Brexit in the past, and according to BBC guidelines, he is absolutely welcome to - his position as a freelance broadcaster who does not front a news or politics programme, means he's exempt from their impartiality rules.

Britain's Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab said on Thursday that 80 percent of Britain's withdrawal deal had been agreed adding that he and European Union negotiator Michel Barnier would discuss "how we complete the remaining 20 percent, including guarantees to avoid a hard border between Ireland and Northern Ireland".

The poll of 1,653 adults in the United Kingdom was conducted this week, The Times said.

Julie Chen Doubles Down on Support for Leslie Moonves Amid Allegations
All of the women, including actress and writer Illeana Douglas , told Farrow that they feared retaliation if they spoke out. The CBS board's independent directors said on Friday they would investigate the New Yorker claims thoroughly.

Gideon Skinner, head of political research at Ipsos MORI, said: 'Theresa May has faced a lot of criticism since she launched her Chequers deal, and our poll for the Standard shows this is mirrored among the public, with her ratings continuing their recent decline to another new low (and the fall has been even sharper among her own supporters).

British and EU negotiators are hoping for a final Brexit agreement by October, in order to allow time for ratification by European and British parliaments before a March 29, 2019 deadline.

Among those who voted Remain in 2016, 87 percent had not changed their view, while of those who voted Leave, 82 percent stuck with their choice.

Fifty-eight per cent of Labour voters, 67 per cent of Liberal Democrat voters and 21 per cent of Tory voters supported a second referendum.

Garrigus fires 63 to lead in Canada
One-over through 12, Watson turned things around with three birdies over the next four holes to avoid a disastrous start. There's a reason no Canadian has won this tournament since 1954 when Pat Fletcher accomplished the feat: Golf is tough.

Best for Britain chief Eloise Todd said: 'Elected politicians are behind public opinion - two years behind to be precise.

A second question in the YouGov and Times poll asked how people would vote if there was now a re-run of the original Brexit vote to leave or remain in the EU.

Worse still, the Conservative Party is deeply divided over Brexit, with a rump large enough to undo Theresa May's parliamentary majority that is entirely opposed to it.

Trump again threatens govt ‘shutdown’ over border wall funds
The Senate remains in session and is set to take a one-week break the week of August 6, then returning for the rest of the month. Although Republicans control Congress, disagreements between moderates and conservatives have impeded a speedy legislative fix.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER